I am an experienced technology product management professional, with extensive international business experience, particularly in Europe and the Far East. I have extensive experience working remotely and with geographically-distributed teams, as a manager, and mentor.
As an avid and rapid learner, I have been able to excel in a wide range of industries. I am seeking to join a passionate and motivated software development organization, to drive the product management and product strategy of exciting new products.
Recent Work Experience
VP of Product Management
Ideal.com, Toronto, Canada (December 2014 to July 2018)
- Responsible for the product strategy and definition of the Ideal Candidate platform.
- Assisted in building the company and team from an early-day startup.
VP of Product Management
TemboSocial, Toronto, Canada (January 2014 to December 2014)
- Actively drove a business model pivot from an enterprise software vendor with annual licenses to a true SaaS-based business model (TemboStatus).
- Implemented a series of product management and development processes to streamline product requirements, formalize feature prioritization, and transition development from a loose waterfall-based development model to a lean and effective agile/scrum development methodology.
- Initiated and successfully closed a funding grant of over $130k from the Canadian National Research Council under the IRAP program.
- Managed a data-driven inbound marketing process with actionable metrics that more than doubled conversion rates and delivered a regular increase in organic search traffic each month.
- Rebranded a group of disjointed products around a common TemboSocial brand, and unified product & company messaging.
European Distribution and Marketing
Idaeus, Brussels, Belgium (April 2012 to Present)
- Created an online retail business (Idaeus) and partnered with Analogix. to market and distribute their new line of mobile phone video adapters in Europe
- Created, tracked, and managed online marketing, SEO, and adverting campaigns designed to increase awareness of Analogix video technology and drive sales.
- Employed heavy use of automation and outsourcing to create a profitable and highly scalable ecommerce business.
- Created an Amazon storefront to distribute in the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and Internationally.
- Managed the P&L, budgeting, and cashflow of an e-commerce business.
Product Marketing and Strategy Consultant (Contract)
Guru Training Systems (April 2012 to January, 2013)
- Developed and implemented a product plan, rebranding strategy, business plan, and go-to-market strategy for a consumer-facing line of Swinguru golf training software.
- Worked closely with lead customers, external contractors, and the Swinguru team to design and develop Swinguru Golf software targetted to golf simulators, and indoor golf facilities.
- Implemented and gained company-wide buy-in on a series of product management processes to significantly increase productivity, reduce feature creep, and maintain a stable and predictable product-line roadmap.
- Responsible for the product management and marketing of all Swinguru products, including 3D (Kinect) software for PC, iPad and iPhone apps, and online content.
Director of Marketing and Product Management
DisplayLink, Cambridge, United Kingdom (September 2007 to March 2012)
- Contributed directly to DisplayLink 5-year revenue growth of over 9000% winning the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 for the fastest growing hardware company in EMEA, and second-fastest growing technology company in the UK.
- Executed a successful product plan and built and directly managed a world-wide product management and marketing team that have allowed DisplayLink to become the undisputed leader in USB graphics with customers including HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, Acer, Samsung, and LG.
- Direct oversight of P&L and product requirements for a hardware and software product lines.
- Travelled regularly (25%) to meet with customers, contract manufacturers, and technology development partners in Taiwan, Japan, Korea, China, and the USA.
- Managed external marketing, PR, and tradeshow contractors and executed on marketing plans.
- Prepared and presented product and financial information to investors for company financing.
- Gained the respect of senior technical colleagues and executives and acted as the catalyst to successful cooperation between Sales, Marketing, and Engineering.
Director of Marketing and Product Management
DisplayLink, Taipei, Taiwan (台北，台灣) (September 2010 to March 2011)
- Seven month overseas assignment in the DisplayLink Taiwan office in Taipei.
- Met regularly with customers in Taiwan, China, Japan, and Korea to discuss product roadmaps and partnership opportunities, and to improve DisplayLink penetration into top accounts.
- Closed business at high-volume accounts by providing expert product and market knowledge.
- Facilitated information transfer with remote teams to improve product knowledge, customer requirements gathering, and inter-office communication.
- Continued to remotely manage the Product Management and Marketing teams in Cambridge.
Senior Product Manager
DisplayLink (formerly Newnham Research), Cambridge, United Kingdom (September 2006 to September 2007)
- First Product Marketing employee hired; promoted to Director of Marketing in September 2007.
- Implemented first DisplayLink marketing structure, processes, roadmaps, and documentation.
- Worked closely with software development and QA teams in Cambridge and Poland.
- Developed an open source software strategy to increase DisplayLink market share in developing markets and to help make DisplayLink USB graphics technology a de facto standard.
Product Manager - Multimedia Software
ATI Technologies, Toronto, Ontario (December 2004 to September 2006)
- Responsible for the product management and marketing of ATI multimedia software products, including TV, DVB-T/Freeview, MPEG-4/H.264 video, 3D accelerated video decode/encode, and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD related software.
- Travelled regularly (10%) to top customers in the USA, Japan, and Taiwan.
- Initiated, negotiated the contract, and managed the successful outsourcing of a multi-million dollar multimedia software application for Windows PCs.
- Spearheaded the creation of a European product testing program to improve product performance.
- Created and maintained marketing requirements documents (MRDs) and roadmaps.
- Worked closely with software development teams in Toronto and California.
Tucows, Toronto, Ontario (January 2003 to December 2004)
- Contributed significantly to the product specification of the Tucows product portfolio of Internet delivered software services and products.
- Travelled regularly to provide sales support and to maintain close relationship with the technical contacts at Tucows’ highest revenue customers in the UK and New England (USA).
- Created product specifications and feature requests based on close collaboration with customers.
- Provided technical consulting for the integration of products into customer environments involving UNIX, Perl, PHP, Java, ASP.NET, DNS, and other internet-related technology.
- Contributed to the open-source project OpenSRS-PHP.
Product Marketing Engineer
V3 Semiconductor/QuickLogic Canada, Toronto, Ontario (October 2000 - October 2001)
- Interpreted highly technical information and extracted competitive features for use in sales collateral.
- Created presentation material and delivered sales training and product presentations.
- Initiated an embedded Linux strategy to provide product differentiation and reduce customer design time.
- Provided technical assistance to customers and sales at trade shows and via telephone.